The "Open Digital Infrastructure in Astrophysics" workshop was held June 4 - 5, 2019 at the Kavli Institute for Theoretical Physics (KITP) at UC Santa Barbara. This workshop was sponsored by the Ford and Sloan Foundations through their Digital Infrastructure Research program.
This special two-day workshop was held while the KITP programs "Better Stars, Better Planets: Exploiting the Stellar-Exoplanetary Synergy" and "The New Era of Gravitational-Wave Physics and Astrophysics" were in session. Participants in these programs were encouraged to attend our workshop.
The workshop’s intent was to highlight open-knowledge digital infrastructure, software instrument communities, metrics for success, developer models, diversity efforts, funding profiles, and sustainability plans.
• Live tweeting at #OpenAstroInfra.
• Presentations are avaliable at http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/odia19/ .
• Effort to conceptualize a US Research Software Sustainability Institute.
• Blog post on the Fundamentals of Software Sustainability.
• Guide to Sustainability Models for Research Software Projects
• Roads And Bridges: The Unseen Labor Behind Our Digital Infrastructure by Nadia Eghbal
• Workshop Final Report
• Final One-Sheet Summary
• A high-level Summary video:
Tuesday June 4
Open Digital Infrastructure in Astrophysics
|9:00am||Rich Townsend - GYRE|
|9:45am||Arfon Smith - JOSS and STScI data|
|11:00am||Daniel Foreman-Mackey - emcee|
|11:45am||Federica Bianco - LSST Transients|
|2:00pm||Matt Turk - yt|
|2:45pm||Gwendolyn Eadie - R astrostatistics|
|4:00pm||Joel Brownstein - SDSS Data Infrastructure|
|4:45pm||Rachel Street - TOM Toolkit and the AEON Network|
Wednesday June 5
|9:00am||Kelle Cruz - Astropy|
|9:45am||Jim Stone - ATHENA++|
|11:00am||Philipp Mösta - Einstein Toolkit|
|11:45am||Duncan Brown - PyCBC|
|2:00pm||Andrew Macfadyen - JETFIT|
|2:45pm||Alice Allen - Astrophysics Source Code Library|
|4:00pm||Frank Timmes - MESA Project and Workshop Closure|